AARP Driver Safety Course: The world is all running too fast that we all have to keep up with the pace to match up with. Otherwise, you will find yourself left back and all you can do is just stand back and watch people moving on. In this kind of life and time automobiles are something that is of utmost necessary and we obviously cannot deny the fact. The automobile has given the people greater freedom to move around with ease and get to the destination at the right time. This has also made us save our time more and more over the years.
But when it comes to driving, there are safety issues that are needed to be taken care of even when there are advancements in the manufacturing of the vehicles which intents to provide protection to the drivers and passengers.
Anyone while driving on the roads should give as much care as they take on their own safety to others. And that is why we have courses on defensive driving conducted by many organizations where the learners are offered classes and lessons on driving and safety issues concerned with driving. This article will brief you about Defensive Driving and Driver Safety Course Offered by AARP.
AARP Defensive Driving As defined by the standard Safe Practices for Motor Vehicle Operations, ANSI/ASSE Z15.1, in the National Safety Council’s Defensive Driving Course, defensive driving skills is “driving to save lives, time, and money, in spite of the conditions around you and the actions of others”. The National Safety Council’s Defensive Driving Course offers training on driving for motor vehicle drivers that aims to embed the trainees with knowledge beyond the mastery of rules of the road and the basic mechanics of driving. The course provides a variety of general guidelines, like following the assured clear distance ahead and two-second rules as well as the practice of specific driving techniques, with the focus of reducing the risk of collision.
It also aims to anticipate the forthcoming dangerous situations despite adverse conditions or the mistake made by others. The first driver safety program, initially developed by Chris Imhoff of the National Safety Council (US) in 1964, instituted a Defensive Driving Course (DDC). Defensive driving is also defined as “driving as if everyone else on the road were drunk” by some motorists.
There are actually many organizations that are concerned in providing Defensive Driving Training to the people and AARP (American Association of Retired Persons) is one such United States-based non-profiting organization that intends to refresh your driving skills and save your money on Auto Insurance as well.
What is AARP & AARP Driver Safety?
As mentioned earlier AARP (American Association of Retired Persons) is a United States-based non-profiting organization with a mission to empower people to choose how they live as they age. It was Ethel Percy Andrus (a retired educator from California) and Leonard Davis (later the founder of the Colonial Penn Group of insurance companies) who founded AARP in 1958. The magazines and bulletin that this organization sends to its members are considered the two largest circulated publication of the US.
One of the services among all these organizations is that it provides “AARP Driver Safety” which is the nation’s first driver safety course seeking to benefit the older adults and it was initiated in 1979. This course, which is instructed and promoted by volunteers throughout the US, teaches defensive driving techniques and delivers added information on age-related cognitive and physical changes that affect driving.
The course can be completed in a classroom or online setting. The course fees and the program are supported by a grant from Toyota which is an automobile manufacturer. Since 1979 over 15 million people have got their courses completed and in 2012 over half a million drivers had completed the course. In more than 33 years around 16 million motorists have been offered lessons on proven safety strategies to make them drive safely as long as possible.
The AARP Smart Driver Safety course is a refresher course designed for drivers of age fifty and above. Upon completing this course, the drivers might be benefitted from a discount on their Auto insurance premium. The course, besides offering much other new stuff to the drivers, has proved to change at least one driving habit as a result of what they have learned in 97% of its participants.
The online course gives more benefits to comparatively. On taking up the AARP Smart Driver Online Course, the one who is pursuing the course will be eligible for a multi-year discount on his & her auto insurance. The objective of this course is to highlight on.
- Safe driving strategies based on researches.
- Facts and effects of medication on driving which are considered important.
- Preventive measures to be taken to reduce the distractions encountered by the drivers.
- Proper usage of provisions like safety belts, air bags, anti-lock brakes and other new technology installed in the cars today.
- Smart techniques to take left turns, follow the right-of-way, and move along the roundabouts.
- Rules and regulations framed by the state in 19 key areas that include construction zones, child safety seats, school buses, cell phone use and more.
- Formats incorporating learning principles for adults that can be followed with ease.
In addition to this, the learners will also be taught to maintain a proper distance between cars on the road. Despite this, the learners will learn about age-related physical changes as well as adjust the way of driving accordingly to compensate for the changes. After completing this course, the learner will be able to find safer ways to change lanes, take turns at intersections and in blind spots.
The Smart Driver online course will help the learner to receive a multi-year discount on their auto insurance. The learners can get themselves refreshed on their driving skills and their knowledge of the rules and hazards of the road. This is a self- paced course with sixty classes to be attended at your own convenience with the state-of-the-art technology.
A good thing about this course is that you need not write a final test because right from the school days tests has always been an irking parts os our life. The learners need not require to be a member of AARP to take the course. This course can be taken by people of any age despite the fact that it is geared for drivers of and above 50 years of age.
The AARP Driver Safety Online Course is approved by the State of Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles as an authorized online Defensive Driving Course. To be eligible for the auto insurance premium reduction, the learner should have completed the four-hour version of the course. If the driver is into the course for getting a two-point reduction or by court referral, he/she should finish the eight-hour version of course. You can check with your preferred insurance company or agent for information regarding additional requirements for the eligibilities.
How to Sign Up For The AARP Smart Driver Course?
Signing up for the AARP Smart Driver Course is an easy process that can be done in a few minutes with a proper strong internet network in PC’s, Smartphones, Tablets or any device that will give you access to the internet and your credit or checkbook. You can follow the steps given below to sign up with lesser difficulty.
- Click on the link Provided here: www.aarpdriversafety.org/signup/displayCourseSelection.html
- You will find icons showing the progress of your sign in process. Below that, you will be able to see three other options: State Selection, Course Options, and Payment Information.
- Under the State Selection option, you will be given a list of states of the US. You should choose the state such that your Driving license is from this state.
- The cost of the available courses will be displayed below. If you are okay with it click Confirm state. If you wish to change the state, you can do that with the Change State Option.
- Now you can proceed, getting done with course options. In this, you will be asked to choose if you are an AARP member. If yes, choose yes and if no, choose no. and sometimes you will be asked to mention if you are going to pursue the course for point reduction or by the court’s referral. Accordingly, choose the options.
- Click on continue to proceed. You will be directed to the Payment Information option.
- Here you should choose the mode of payment such as if it is paid via Cheque or Credit card.
- If you choose to Pay by credit card, fill in the details with your full name that is printed on your card, Credit Card Number, Expiration Details, and CVC Pin. If you have got any promo code, you can also enter them and click on apply. You should then enter your E-mail address and password of your choice. Confirm both the details and Click on purchase course.
- If you choose to Pay by cheque, make a cheque or money order payable at AARP Driver Safety and send mail to:
- “AARP Driver Safety, 4201 FM 1960 W, Suite 100, Houston, TX 77068.”
- Make sure to enter your Driver’s License Number for easy matching with your Enter your E-mail address and a password of your choice. Confirm the details and proceed to purchase the course.
- The next major step of the process is to Create an Account for you.
- Enter the details of your Username, Name and any other credentials that are asked for
- Once you are done with creating the account, you can start the course.
- Now you are all done with signing up for the Smart Driver Course.
How to Access Or Log In to Your AARP Smart Driver Course?
Here are the guiding steps that would help you log in to your AARP Smart Driver Course.
- Click on the provided link: www.aarpdriversafety.org
- Scroll down and you will find the AARP Driver Safety Course Login and Sign up options. Choose the AARP Driver Safety Course Sign in option.
- You will be asked to enter your Registered E-mail address and the respective password.
- By entering the correct details you can log in to your account by clicking on the login button.
How to Reset Password Of AARP Driver Safety Account?
Not everything can be remembered easily and forgetting certain things is not a blunder too. Similarly forgetting your password is also common. Here we have come up with easy steps to reset your password.
- Click on the given link: www.aarpdriversafety.org/sales/forgotpassword.html
- You will be directed to the Password Reset page.
- Enter the Registered E-mail ID. If the account is synced with the entered mail ID, a password resetting link will be sent to the mail in five minutes. If you have not received any link, check at spam or junk. If you haven’t received it there, then check if the Right mail ID has been entered. If nothing works out click on the link provided above and retry.
- After clicking on the Password Reset link that has been sent to your mail ID, Reset your Password and Confirm it.
- Now you are done with the process. Your new password is been set.
- If you need more help, you can Contact Customer Service. For doing so the instructions are given in the upcoming texts.
Pricing Of AARP Smart Driver Course
To check out the pricing details of your desired course you can follow the instructions given below.
- Use the link given below and you will be directed to the page which details you about the pricing of the course.
- Click on the link https://bit.ly/2NFPe46
- Choose the state from where you have got your valid driving license.
- The courses offered in that state and their Pricing Details for AARP Members and non-members will be displayed.
- Looking at the details, you can select the course that you opt for.
How to Gift The AARP Driver Saftey Course & AARP Smart Driver Course
AARP also provides you with an opportunity to show your love and affection by letting you gift your loved ones with the AARP Driver Safety Course and AARP Smart Driver Course. The following instructions will help you with the gifting process.
- On clicking the link https://bit.ly/2XyjkGu, you will be taken to a page.
- First of all, you should purchase the AARP Smart Driver Course but as a gift. The provided link will let you do that. For purchasing, follow the steps as mentioned for signing up.
- The gift recipient’s E-mail address and your customized personal message are to be entered.
- An E-mail will be sent to the recipient to intimate that he/ she has been gifted a free course by you.
- On gifting, you may earn a multi-year discount on their auto insurance.
AARP Driver Safety Customer Support Service
We have tried our best to give you all the instructions possible. If at all you need more professional guidelines, you can contact the customer service on 1-800-350-7025 or by the mailing to [email protected] If you want to go old school, then send a mail to:
- AARP Smart Driver Course
- 4201 FM 1960 W, Ste. 100
- Houston, TX 77068.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQS)
What is the cost of the course and do I pay?
For AARP Members the AARP Smart Driver Course costs around $19.95 and for non- members it costs $24.95. You can either pay by cheque or credit card. If you choose to pay by cheque, make a cheque or money order payable at AARP Driver Safety and send mail to:
“AARP Driver Safety, 4201 FM 1960 W, Suite 100, Houston, TX 77068.”
Make sure to enter your driver’s license number for easy matching with your account.
Is it safe to send my credit card information over the internet?
An encryption technology called Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology is used by AARP Driver Safety to ensure maximum security on sensitive card transactions. If your connection is secured, an unbroken key or a closed lock icon will be visible at the lower right corner of your browser. And a secured server will get the site address changed from “HTTP” to “https.” If you find problems in accessing the secure server, register the course by phone at 1-800-350-7025.
If I cannot finish the course or don’t wish to continue it, will I be able to receive a refund?
The course actually has to be completed in sixty days. Before that, if you wish to discontinue or couldn’t complete the course, you will get a refund. You will have to request the refund within the sixty days. The refund will not be made after sixty days or after the certification has been processed. You can request for the refund via 1-800-350-7025 or [email protected] the refund will be made in thirty days following the receipt of the cancellation request.
Can I repeat the course later at no extra charges?
The course material will not be available after the course has been completed. To continue learning and testing your knowledge after the end of the course you can get access to Driving Resource Centre via www.aarp.org/DRC.
What information do I need handy for registration?
All that you will need are your AARP member number (if you are a member), Driver’s Licence Number and Credit Card information.
Why does AARP Driver Safety ask for my driver’s license and date of birth when I register for the AARP Smart Driver Course?
In order to guard against the fraudulent uses of the Completion Certificate as well as to maintain the integrity of the program, it has been made the national procedure for AARP Driver Safety to collect the above-mentioned details.
How long is this course? What if I cannot finish it in one sitting?
The AARP Smart Driver is a six hours long course. You can either choose to complete it in one sitting or take your own time to complete it within sixty days from registration. It is totally self-paced.
Can I start the online version of the AARP Smart Driver course at one location and continue at another?
The online version is designed for the convenience of the learners. You can take the lessons at any part of the world at any time by just logging in to your account.
Is this online version of the AARP Smart Driver Course narrated or just text?
The concepts will be taught with professional narration and graphic videos.
Will Quizzes and Exams that are recorded and graded? Can I fail the course?
A number of quizzes will be contained and the results will be recorded to help you show your progress but it will not be graded. An ungraded final exam will be conducted. If you have not attended any of the questions, you will be asked to retake the exam. Contact the customer service if you are asked to retake the exams despite attending all the questions.
When will I receive the certificate?
Your certificate will be available in a digital format immediately when the course gets completed. To receive a hardcopy, choose the shipping method and pay the corresponding fee.
If I purchase the course as a gift, what information is required?
You will have to provide the recipient’s driver’s license number; his/her full name and e-mail address. Once the course has been purchased an e-mail will be received at both the ends.
How will I be notified when the gift recipient receives their online course gift from me?
You will receive a mail of the receipt and a notification will be made to intimate you that your gift has been emailed to your friend or family member.
What happens if I get disconnected?
You can reconnect and log back into your account to continue with your course.
What happens if I have problems while taking the course or the system malfunctions for any reason?
Contact the customer service via 1-800-350-7025 or by the E-mail [email protected] If you want to go old school, then send a mail to:
AARP Smart Driver Course, 4201 FM 1960 W, Ste. 100, Houston, TX 77068.
System requirements for taking the AARP Smart Driver online Course.
The course is not available on tablets or mobiles. Your system should have Internet Explorer, Firefox or Google Chrome to meet the browser requirements. It should possess Adobe Flash Player or Adobe Reader. When it comes to OS, it should either be Windows XP SP3 or Windows 203 or Windows Vista or Windows 7 or Windows 8 or Windows 10 or Mac OS X 10.4 or Greater or Linux.
The hardware requirements are Sound Card, Speakers or Headphones, Mouse or Other Pointing Device, Screen Resolution f 1024 X 768, Broadband Internet Connection. Dial-Up internet access will not be supported.
Final Words of AARP Smart Driver Course
Safer driving can save you not only your money but more. The course intends to provide the learners with proven driving techniques that help to keep themselves and their loved ones safe on the road. You can contact us for more information about the course. We hope this article has given you enough details that are required for a defensive driving learner in AARP.